[cad-linux] Intellicad for Linux

  • From: AJBIBB@xxxxxxx
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 06:41:20 EDT

Lots of cad options is a good thing, just like having more than one option
for operating systems is a good thing.  One of the reasons I really like
Intellicad, it may tend to keep Acad slightly more in line, but at the very
least it provides many of us a viable cad option.

In my own opinion I don't think that Intellicad an be ported to Linux due to
its tight embedding into windows.  However splitting the cad engine out and
then writing different front ends does have possibilities.  It would be a LOT
of work. I really do hope they can pull it off, but I am afraid that it will
be for commercial purposes and therefore will not be open source.  I haven't
been hanging around Linux sites a great deal, but I gather that a commercial
program would not be warmly received.  Is this a correct assumption?  Oddly
enough the one entitiy that I see which has enough juice to port a cad
program to Linux is AutoDesk.

By the way, I did not mean to imply that you or anyone else would suggest
that my program effort was a waste of time.  From a practical point of view
however, who would want to write a word processor program with Star Office
freely available.  Speaking of Star Office, I had discussions a while back
with Risto where we noted that the only module Star office lacked was a good
3D graphics program built in.  It tied in nicely with the theme of the
article you linked to last week.

Andy