[cad-linux] GraphiteOne 3D 1.2 Quirks

  • From: Dave Persuhn <dpersuhn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:49:21 -0800 (PST)

I've been kicking the tires on GraphiteOne 3D 1.2 for
about a week now and wanted to share some of my
interesting expereiences for comment.  First off, I'll
start by saying that I'm running a very new (read
bleeding) Linux release (Mandrake 10.0 rc1), so all of
this may be the demons of my own doing as this is a
2.6.2 kernel, Python 2.3, etc...

After installing the libstdc++2.10 libraries to
support the necessary backward compatibility,
everything installed correctly (ignoring the opengl
dependency failure due to Nvidia installer not having
any way to update the rpm database).  I managed to
muddle around a bit and have done some simple 2d and
3d drawings and have run into a few wierd crashes and
behavioral anomalies.  For instance, if I'm creating
an outline that will be used as a sketch to extrude a
3d object, the outline cannot include any part of a
circle that has been cut, almost like the cut process
fails to convert the circle to an arc, leaving the
impression of an unclosed boundary.  I've also run
across an instance where a circle having 2 parallel
lines tangent to the radius wouldn't allow me to
perform the cut operation because the opposite end of
one of the lines contained a fillet.  Last but not
least is my favorite, and I'd love to know if this is
just my system.  If I draw 2 circles of equal diameter
that are positioned with their centers at either the
same x or y coordiate (but not overlapping), and then
try to draw a line between the two corresponding
tangents (parallel to the x or y axis), the program
seg faults on me.

I realize that I'm running in unsupported territory,
and that would perhaps explain the seg fault incident,
but how about the other oddities?  Don't get me wrong,
I'm absolutely thrilled to have a product like
GraphiteOne available to me as a hobbyist, and many
thanks go out to Thomas.  I just wanted to throw this
stuff out to see if it's Python, my kernel, libs, or
just bad karma and a little bit of insanity that's
causing some of these issues.  I'll be happy to send
sample command lists if anyone is interested.

--Dave

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools