[cad-linux] FreeCAD 0.9

  • From: Yorik van Havre <yorik@xxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:17:19 -0200

Hi there,
Just to notify you people that we finally have a (more or less) stable
release of FreeCAD [1]
Basically now the 3D Part kernel is stable and coherent, so all operations
on 3D solids work fine,
the 2D module is good enough for basic 2D drawing (although it still has
bugs), and the long-awaited
user interface for all this is starting to emerge (see screenshot [2]). So
far there are installer package
available for windows [3], ubuntu karmic 32bit [4] & [5], ubuntu karmic
64bit [6] & [7] and mac osx [8].
Starting from debian squeeze and ubuntu lucid, FreeCAD is available directly
from the official
repositories, and there are also several efforts to include it in other
distributions like gentoo or opensuse.
On the FreeCAD site you can find more info & documentation.

What would most benefit the project at the moment is some feedback from CAD
users, so
if some of you could have a look and give us your impressions [9] or report
any problem encountered,
it would be more than useful...

Cheers to all,
Yorik

PS
I believe this might also interest windows or mac CAD users, but I don't
know any CAD-related
mailing list outside this one... Would any of you have ideas about that?

[1] http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page
[2]
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=File:Freecad09.jpg
[3]