[cad-linux] Re: FSF priority project for dwg reading support

  • From: Yorik van Havre <yorik@xxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:45:29 -0300

Yes, you are right about the licenses of course, I was just complaining
a bit ;) You can do combinations that are totally impossible in the
closed-source world
And I agree a lot about your last paragraph, every software that
can export to dwg can export to dxf too... Much wiser to concentrate
efforts on getting reliable dxf support than losing hours of precious
programming time on approximating and reverse-engineering dwg, IMHO.

I don't remember if I posted that here, but I made a couple
of small utilities to work with dxf files on linux, namely
a dwg->dxf converter and a dxf thumbnailer, both written
in python so easy to extend or modify:
http://yorik.uncreated.net/linuxstuff.html

Cheers
Yorik