[cad-linux] Re: FSF priority project for dwg reading support

  • From: "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 05:37:32 +0800

Hi!
> Yes, I met the guys who are developing libredwg already...
> I thought of using it with freecad already, unfortunately it
> is licensed under GPL3 and cannot be linked in a LGPL2
> application. Open-source licenses can sometimes be quite a hell...

But unix can be paradise - get a GPL3-tool that you can call from your
LGPL2 app, and you are fine ;-)

> But surely the libredwg people would love to receive feedback or
> encouragements, so don't hesitate to have a look there.
>
> I'm actually wondering if those guys are not subscribed to this list...
> I'll copy this thread to them in case they're not so they can inform us
> better.

I was wondering whether they are aware of the efforts in Blender-world

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.4/Py/Scripts/Import/DXF-3D

where a lot of work has been done on importing dxf, assuming that anyone
generating dwg can also generate dxf. And - in the worst case, where you
get the dwg from someone, I can confirm that the dwg-dxf converter they
use works perfectly fine in wine as a workaround. My guess is that the
chances to get someone export a dxf instead of a dwg is just as high as
having him export the specific 2000 format that the developers try to
support. Still, why not have a group try to support dwg directly, while
dxf import improves faster and more relieable.

Cheers,

Lars.