[cad-linux] Re: DWF support to LX-Viewer

  • From: AJBIBB@xxxxxxx
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:01:12 EDT

The discussion here last week of DWF started another discussion with the
LX-viewer group members about getting some sort of feature development list
started.  I have not pulled even a draft of this list together, but when I do
and it has been discussed by the group members we will post it to our web
site.  All of that is background to my next statement which is that at this
point I expect that the draft of my development list will show DWF support as
a task to be implemented.  I have a major new feature in the works right now,
but in my own mind I have penciled in dwf suport immediately following.  All
of this of course is subject the group members approval and also to the
caveat below.

I also checked out the DWF license terms last week and was somewhat put off
by them.  Guy has pretty much summarized my concerns.  Some are more
important to me than others, but the one that really bothered me is the one
where any changes or bug fixes I  might make to the source code belong to
Autodesk.  This is significantly different than the GNU public license where
any changes I make to GNU code belong to me, but are freely available to
anyone to use and make further improvements on.  After thinking about this
for a week or so I decided that if I can get the Autodesk sources to compile
without any changes or modifications for Linux then I'll try (with the
group's approval) to implement the DWF read and write capability.  I don't
honestly think that any code tweaks or changes I make will affect the
profitability of Autodesk by even one penny, it is the principle that bothers
me.

Andy