[cad-linux] Re: DWF conversions

  • From: lee.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:25:31 -0700

Regarding 2: The DWF is more like and electronic plot than a DWG, which may
explain how it appears in the OpenDWG tool(view)kit.  DWF is an electronic
archiving format -- that is, it contains only the information the author
chooses to publish (unlike a DWG). It's better than rasters (TIFF, JPG, etc.)
because it is vectors; is much smaller than a PDF; searchable; indexable; etc.
etc. etc.  Once a DWG is converted to DWF, it is basically impossible to get
back to a usable DWG.

That sounds like marketing, but I'm just trying to be informative.