[cad-linux] Re: Call for help - Linux drawing view program

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AJBIBB@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:00:22 -0400

On Monday 30 July 2001 21:59, you wrote:
> You didn't scare me off, but between the weekend and all I just finally got
> around to posting to your list.  I think I have subscribed to your mail
> list (in fact I think I did it 3 times), but I did not get a copy of my own
> announcment back.  Are you supposed to?

I'll check to see if your on.
is this the address you want to be listed under? let me know.
they've been having some hardware problems.  They had an electrical storm
that fried their system awhile back.

> I have not posted to OpenDWG yet, but I plan to.  I received help from
> members there once or twice and I hope this will be a way of repayment.

I was wondering

> I am still getting to know all the ins and outs of Sourceforge. I have my
> source code posted to the FTP site there, but I have not set up the CVS
> yet. The discussion forums are up and running though.
>
> In short the program can read and display ACAD version 2.5 to 2000 DWG or
> DXF files.  You can also save to the same formats as well as BMP and XPM
> formats. I have implemented zooms (window, in ,out, extents, max out and
> center) as well as pans.  There is also a basic 3D view dialog that needs a
> little help. My 3D vector algebra is a little rusty after all these years.
>
> I really started this project in response to your (and other peoples)
> discussion over at the ITC 9 months or so back.  I did not want to
> publically announce that I was trying in case I failed in the effort.  I
> have never programmed in C++ before and I did not want to raise false
> hopes.  After reading your discussions, and looking over the source code
> from the ITC I doubt that ICAD can ever be ported to Linux.  It is just too
> embedded into windows.

I've wondered about that, but Surya, atleast, has been trying really hard to
understand this Linux thing.  I have not given up on them yet, but i'm not
ignoring other projects either.

> If I am not mistaken it uses the Microsoft MFC
> library extensively.
yes to the point that even a winelib port is painful

>  I really just wanted to show that by using Linux it
> was possible to open, view and save ACAD drawing files.  It is a start but
> it is a looooooong way from a CAD program.

I've been running a few ideas around, but have not had the time to do much
more than that.  one thing i would like to see is somthing like Catia's
auxview2 function for an autocad compatable program.  it "renders" a 3D model
to 2D vector entities(arcs, lines, conics,,, )I think this would solve some
of the problems people seem to have with paperspace.  this would make
detailing a little easier(ie hidden line/dashed lines).

> Features I would like to see would be toolbars and buttons.  These are
> trivial to program in QT, but I have absolutely zero artistic talent and
> creating the bit maps for the buttons will cause me more problems than
> learning C++.

I might be able to help here, make me a list of functions and the format/size
you want them in.

> I have a good handle on the solution to the 3D dialog
> problem, and what I really need to make the program useful is a printing
> routine.  Do you have any ideas how to provide large format printing to
> Linux?

no but i'll start asking.  have you asked this from the qcad people?
they might be able to help.

> I have spent most of my free time since November working on this, and my
> wife is making noises that I might need to find something else to spend
> time on (like her).

my wife gets gealous anytime she sees me looking at a penguin or mouse.
:-)