[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: raygr@xxxxxxxx
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:12:32 GMT

On 13 May 2003 at 10:29, Roland Krause wrote:

> Ok, there is a project space on sourceforge for this now. It is on

> http://sf.net/projects/kosmos/ .

> If anybody wants access to it, create a new user, let me know here on

> the list and I'll grant you admin rights.

> The good thing about this is that SF provides access to a MySQL

> database, which could be used to create a database for a parametric

> solid modeller. It's an ideal playground.

> About the size of floats, that is at this point actually fairly

> irrelevant. It depends also very much on what OS and processor your

> server and your client will run. Databases will store pretty much

> everything you throw in front of them since I believe the do actually

> store all the data as strings anyway.

If it's stored as strings then there won't be a problem. I was just thinking
about possible incompatibilities between diferent systems using the same file.
It is largely irrelevant at this point though I agree.

> Now as to your preference of Kylix/Borland, I would like to say a few

> things from the perspective of someone who earns a living making

> software but I would rather take that offline.

OK, I would be very interested in your opinion Roland. You can email me at
raygr@xxxxxxxxx Though if you feel that the advice might be useful to those
others on the list who are taking up programming you could post it here as it
would be somewhat relevant to the project.

Ray Greene.