[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: Lee Fickenscher <elfick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:05:20 -0400

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 05:51:20PM -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> I would definitely rule out OpenDWG on the grounds that it is NOT open-source
> and is based on the reverse-engineering of a moving target which is owned by
> a third party.  I would say that it could play some role in transitioning
> acad users, but it should not be used as the base database.

I agree that the app should not be based on proprietary work in any way,
shape, or form save what is needed to enable users to migrate to the app.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?

> I am not very familiar with IGES or STEP, aside from some experience in
> varying degrees of support by existing commercial software (I have yet to be
> able to easily transfer either from one program to another).  But, I will say
> that STEP must have some merit, since it has been used as the basis of the
> CIS/2 format.  As for IGES, it should be investigated, and may be a
> contender, but I cannot say for sure.  Maybe all three play a role in the
> transitional stage (when the concept of "export" has not been completely
> eliminated), but I think the relational database may be a better basis for
> the project as a whole.

Perhaps I don't have a clear grasp of what you are proposing. What I'm
thinking is that a database would be used natively, but that there would
always need to be some type of "export" function to bundle up the data
so that it could be sent to another site that doesn't have access to our
database. Whatever the format of the data bundle would be, I can't seem
to figure out a way that it would ever be entirely eliminated.

-Lee