[cad-linux] Re: Autocad

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:19:13 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> David Meyer
> on Wednesday 23 July 2003 08:37 am:

>I must apologise in advance for thins being off topic. I am trying to find
>a way to extract data from about 5,000 autocad files so that we can build a
>database with the information. The information is in a specific area of the
>drawing and consists of individual text objects, each containing a 5 digit
>number. We want to read out this data for each drawing. I am looking for
>someone who can write me a simple program to do it.

I've got a working perl module for reading autocad drawings, but it requires
the openDWG toolkit and is nowhere near an installable state (you have to
basically ape my setup or figure out how to compile and install it.)

I've got the go-ahead to release it as open-source, but the issue of creating
a distributable package holds me back from creating the release.  On top of
that, it was originally built with Swig, but I want to change it over to
Inline::C.

If you have a linux system or aren't afraid to try to make this C code work on
Windows (never tried, but it should be possible), contact me off-list and I
will see if it can be done.

--Eric