[cad-linux] AutoCAD LT 2002 Success

  • From: guy1656 <guy1656@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, plug@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:22:15 -0800

I am running Mandrake 8.0.

VMWare Workstation 3.0 ($299) installed smoothly as any Windows-based
install. Double-click the rpm, and have Coke. No dependencies or command-line
torture required. Installs like a toaster - plug it in, throw out the manual
and the cardboard box while waiting, and go.

Next, installed an OLD but never-used Windows 98 SE as the 'guest OS' within
VMWare. With Win98 running, one can then install VMWare Tools (which helps
speed up graphics.)

And next, go to www.98lite.net and download 98lite and the IEradicator. These
turn the supposedly necessary, "bundled" IE and other web-based
marketing/monitoring/adspam-portals into OPTIONS which you can then go in and
REMOVE using Control Panel's Add/remove Software tool.

So you clean house and the OS runs MUCH faster. If you have Win98 running on
other platforms you might try this there as well - especially for streaming
video, audio, and other RAM-hammering games. VMWare 'grants' 64Meg RAM to its
'guest' OS, and although AutoCAD supposedly requires 128Meg, it runs fine
once you 98lite sweeps through town.

Beware, there is another company at www.98lite.COM which is running a SCAM in
which they collect MONEY, and then point you to the FREE site (.net)

With the guest OS so prepared, I installed AutoCAD LT 2002 (Student Price:
$329) in 15 min, and it seems to run fine.

(OK, so now I have to register it...)

GLL

PS I have already successfully run Student Edition Pro/E i2000 in Linux on
VMWare Workstation 3.0