[cad-linux] Re: 'Atta-boys' to Phrostie - sourceforge

  • From: Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 16 Jan 2003 18:22:59 +0000

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 17:00, alvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 17:38, alvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >   - donno if you hear rumors thru the grapevine but one has
> > >   to wonder.. about the author's/devlopers's rights to the code etc
> >
> > I write a piece of code, I license it under the GPL, I post it to the
> > SourceForge website. I am still the copyright holder, it's still GPL,
> > them allowing a copy of my work to be on their server doesn't affect
> > anything.
>
> that's the questions .... one needs to read the fine print of VA's
> "free" services ... and its terms for using their connectivity, pcs
> and other resources ...  its not a gpl issue...

Sorry whats with the quotes? Yes "free" services, they don't charge any
money and it clearly states that all code uploaded is licensed under its
appropriate license (eg they don't claim they own it).

Thats "free" as in money and "free" as in freedom to choose software
licensing.

Whats the problem with the fine print? Is there some evil hidden print?
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6048&group_id=1

For those who don't want to read it, I've summarised the numbered
paragraphs:

1. Don't use the site if you don't agree with these terms
2. No unlawful or prohibited use
3. We're nothing to do with your Internet bill
4. Register with true details please
5. You're responsible for your own content, unless we have to shut you
down because you're breaking the law.
6. Your open source license in your open source license
7. Don't sell our free services
8. If all the servers blow up you can't sue us
9. If you try and hack us we'll close your SF account.
10. link to whoever you like, it's on your back
11. nothing can be blamed on us (no warrenty)
12. The SF logo is our own
13. If someone breaks your copyright tell us
14. Glossary of terms
15. If you think anyone violates these terms, let us know

> > > doing cvs, mysql, releases control etc is all part of the fun of making a
> > > "real server" :-)  .. and you forgot "backups"
> >
> > Backups are done by SourceForge, it's there in their documentation. The
> > point is you don't need to re-invent the wheel,
>
> sometimes reinventing the wheel makes it better/easier/faster/simpler/etc

Using your own server is more fun, and there's pride in having built
your own setup, but it's probably a good idea to be careful when
suggesting that using SF affects the "author's/devlopers's rights to the
code etc" unless you can back it up with some references or facts, and
sorry but SF's "fine print" is probably the most understandable and
generally human readable agreement I've seen on the web.

Sorry for the slightly tetchy reply, but I feel that SourceForge is one
of the best facilities available for Open Source development. To be able
to use the facilities without any strings attached is simply amazing,
especially considering the size of it and the fact that most
companies/corporations give as little back as possible. Use your own
server because you prefer it, but don't say it's because of problems
with the "author's/devlopers's rights to the code". It's just 100& not
true.

Guy