[cad-linux] Re: 'Atta-boys' to Phrostie - sourceforge

  • From: <alvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:00:08 -0800 (PST)

hi ya guy

> On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 17:38, alvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >     - donno if you hear rumors thru the grapevine but one has
> >     to wonder.. about the author's/devlopers's rights to the code etc
>
> I write a piece of code, I license it under the GPL, I post it to the
> SourceForge website. I am still the copyright holder, it's still GPL,
> them allowing a copy of my work to be on their server doesn't affect
> anything.

that's the questions .... one needs to read the fine print of VA's
"free" services ... and its terms for using their connectivity, pcs
and other resources ...  its not a gpl issue...

> > doing cvs, mysql, releases control etc is all part of the fun of making a
> > "real server" :-)  .. and you forgot "backups"
>
> Backups are done by SourceForge, it's there in their documentation. The
> point is you don't need to re-invent the wheel,

sometimes reinventing the wheel makes it better/easier/faster/simpler/etc

> > but like i said earlier, for simple d/l and installs... its too
> > complicated for me to navigate thru that to find the latest version
> > for me to dl and install .. preferring to search other websites that
> > has the same info .. or going to the maintainers site instead :-)
> >     - am just not source-forge-literate i guess :-)
>
> I don't get what you mean by "preferring the maintainers website".

if the author/maintainer has a website ... i d/l from their site ...
avoiding sourceforge

c ya
alvin