[cad-linux] Re: 2d vs. 3d

  • From: "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:02:47 +0300

Hi!

>> of cou rse you must be running windows :(   , that's the negative thing
>> aboutthis.
> I have found qemu ( http://www.qemu.org ) working well.
> All it deeds, is a modern computer with enough memory.

Ok, now we even boot a windows system under linux an run a commercial
CAD on it. Now we see how desperate we Linux-CAD guys really are.

It is still an interesting option for those who are already able to
replace everything but their CAD app by Linux. So it might be a
convenient way to integrate the (windows-)CAD into a Linux Desktop.
Still I have my doubts when it comes to performance. People do
everything to get optimized drivers for their 3d-grpahics cards, and we
start to work on an emulated pc...? It would be interesting to know how
well it works, and where the limitations are. Some windows apps are
working under wine/inux, too, btw.

Still, this cannot be a replacement for a competive open source CAD.

Ah, one thing we forgot (and this is the 2d/3d thread): pythoncad
(www.pythoncad.org) aims to become a fully functional 2d CAD, and looks
familiar at least to AutoCAD folks. Anyone who already used it for
professional work?

Lars.