[cad-linux] Re: 2D vs 3D thoughts: reuse the code Luke

  • From: Dan Falck <dfalck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:17:52 -0800

Yes, get a web site going.  Decide on a name.  But, please don't start
from scratch.  Another project started from scratch and it will be
another 10 years.
Check out what's out there and actually install some of it and try it
out.  I am using Varkon again right now and having some fun with it.
Qcad- I occasionally try to use it and kind of scratch my head about how
to make it do things.  Opencascade- I use the Draw application (which is
written in Tcl/Tk so that you can alter the gui to include commands that
aren't the default) and end up reading the source a lot.  FreeDraft
(from www.freeengineer.org) I have intsalled and just played with a bit.
If you do a search of CAD projects on sourceforge.net you will see a lot
of projects with nothing released yet, but there are a lot of them that
have applications that are pretty far along.  I check sourceforge every
week and it seems like there has been a lot of projects released or
improved greatly in the last month.  I suspect that this is due to the
reuse of code - the Opencascade source code.
My needs aren't as great as some- I just want to be able to do 2d
drawings and output 2-1/2D G-code to my CNC equipment.  I can probably
get that from working with Varkon and the MBS scripting that comes with
it. The HPGL to G-code converter that was released recently will
probably do the trick.

Thanks,
Dan

marrandy wrote: