[cad-linux] Re: 2D versus 3D thoughts: list of candidates

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:06:21 -0800 (PST)

--- Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Another package comes out of the woodwork !

acctually, it's been around for a little while.
i had tried running it last year, summer i think.

> I think this group really needs to spend time discussing the various
> merits of all these applications and focus on getting ONE package to the
> point of completion, etc.  The CAD world is diverse, but I am thinking
> the group can whittle out a common set of functionality and get a GOOD
> COMPLETE base package together.

I'm certain that most in this group agree, what most people seem to be voicing
are opinions on which one and what the base features need to include.  basic
brainstorming.

what i'm still not sure about is how much if any help do the owners of the
existing projects want.

> Don't get me wrong, I applaud the efforts of the developers, but linux
> cad is the one group that doesn't have a major completed product and yet
> there are literally a DOZEN half completed/not utilized projects out
> there.

i agree.  i also think that it would be a loss if the different "DOZEN half
completed/not utilized projects" were to be trashed or lost because there was
not sufficient resources to develop them at this time.  they may find a new
purpose or use at a later date.  Varkon seems to be a good example of this.
it's development was idle for a number of years.  now just when everyone
thought it was dead, we findout that there is a new release in the works.

> I find it interesting that GIMP is well developed and yet Linux cad
> isn't.  I would have thought with all the commercial companies doing CAD
> that somewhere along the line an Open Source solution would have
> developed.

it all comes down to critical mass.  i've never doubted that there was a large
enough demand for a CAD on Linux.  i've been emailing back and forth with many
on this list for years before this list existed.  there are many others not on
this list that are fighting to bring good CAD to linux everyday.

the difference is that now we can be seen as a group instead of scattered
individuals around the world.

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://mailplus.yahoo.com