[cad-linux] Re: 2D versus 3D thoughts: list of candidates

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:43:20 -0800 (PST)

i agree that mandrake is a good Dist'.  especially for newbies.
my concern was for compatibility.  i don't run Suse, but it's Rpm get along
very nice with others.  the V8 release of Varicad is a good example of this.

--- marrandy <marrandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Friday 17 January 2003 12:27 pm, you wrote:
> > ah, the best distribution.
> > flame wars are faught over this subject. :-)
> >
> > i think most people are running Redhat or Suse.
> > some running the late mandrake.
> > i know there are several on this list running debian/libranet.
> > many running others I'd never heard of before.
>

> No, not flame wars, reality.  Flame wars consist of people without real
> lives.
> They need to get out more.
> They sincerely believe that their system/os/distribution is the one and only
> and all the rest are the enemy and   'dog meat'.
> It's rather sad and pathetic but at least they are obvious and you can
> KillFile them.
>
> I run/manage 13 os's, doing system inetegration.  I have my own personal
> preferences, and depending on peoples needs and experiences, I will recommend
>
> or give an appropriate short-list to them.
> I also host 22 mailing lists and several domains.
> My little part of giving back to the community.
>
> But I digress...
>

> First...every independent survey on Linux distributions in the past 18-months
>
> has shown mandrake to have the largest share.
>
> He said he was a Linux newbie.  The majority (>50%) of windows users
> transitioning to Linux/Unix want the familiar look and feel, want simple
> (click) installs of apps and updates.
>
> Mandrake is simple to install (identify and configure the hardware) and
> quick.
>
> You can download and burn the iso's.
>
> Mandrake updates is free and they don't ask any questions.
>
> Yes, they have a club you may join, ie. it's optional and there are some
> benefits, plus perhaps if you can't   'give back'  by contributing in some
> other way, then it's good to join if you use it, especially if you downloaded
>
> it instead of buying from a store.
>
> Everytime I have installed SUSE, it has been significantly longer than RedHat
>
> or Debian.  They don't release iso's.
>
> RedHat package upgrades is not free.  You have to subscribe.  They ask you a
> lot of questions to register, name of your first born son etc.  They are
> becoming more like Microsoft in the way they act.  Six/Seven years ago when I
>
> first started getting heavily into Linux, they would put things in different
> locations which really annoyed me as I was playing with Four Linuxes at the
> time.  Just little things but it grates on you.
> It also makes it a support nightmare when you use different Linuxes/Unixes.
>

> Actually, FreeBSD is fast, quick to install and boot.  They have done some
> major work building kde and gnome and fixing some problems etc.  I'm looking
> forward to v5.0 which is in RC mode.
>
> Look here to pick a distribution/iso   http://www.linuxiso.org/
>
> Each to there own.  Do you have time and energy to play with them, figure out
>
> their faults etc.
>
> If not, I still suggest (note those words) Mandrake.
>
> Regards...Martin

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://mailplus.yahoo.com