[cad-linux] Re: 2D versus 3D thoughts

  • From: Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 16 Jan 2003 18:51:31 +0000

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 17:52, john kosty wrote:
[snip]
> VRML[older] in second place.  I can't get that excited
> about adopting/adapting .dwg because patent/IP laws
> have gotten way out of hand.  No way would I risk
> developing a system only to have it collapse down the
> road because an Autode$k lawyer can beat up my lawyer.
>  Dxf sounds like a safer bet.

As I understand it, if you write your own code to use the DWG format
then no-one can touch you.

If you read the source to the OpenDWG libraries then technically might
that be "derived from" their libraries and they've got that covered in
their download license. You'll ahve to contribute it back and your work
is technically part of the OpenDWG library (shout if I've got that wrong
someone). If Autodesk were to sue anyone that tried to use the format
then I'm sure the OpenDWG alliance would have been first to get both
barrels.

I think you can safely read the (pretty much full) DWG specification
from the OpenDWG website without agreeing to their terms, and that would
be a big help I should imagine.

We can always be cheeky and ask... Lee are there any patent/Ip laws that
stop us adopting DWG for a project?

Guy