[cad-linux] Re: 2D drawings- was Re: Any suggestions about free hosting sites for a CAD symbol library?

  • From: "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 20:55:14 +0800

A comment from a non-developer... I understand Eric's argument, which
basically favours lightweight, specific formats that, as they are
limited, allow to bypass their limitation by better support of e.g. im-
and export to other, similar limited formated - just because they are
simple to implement.
On the other hand, I think Sean identified the solution to the
complexity of a broader format by providing a consistent library
support. In fact, my experience is somehow contradicting the idea of
simple formats at least in 3d. I have a lot of problems with mesh-files
like obj, 3ds, as the ease of implementing also led to a lot of
semi-implementations that fullfill some task, but are not complete or
even try to model additional functionality by misusing format specs.
Other then expected I then just experienced how cool it is to download
some parts in step-format from a vendor website, open it in freecad and
have it there just as a native cad object.

Also please do not forget that the decision on success of a cad format
are not only about geometry. There are lots of specialized applications
going beyond that, and lots of approaches to achieve something that step
provides - a unified language to describe such additional entities. I am
from the building side and see IFC, the various proprietary formats, all
just to allow adding intelligence into the cad format that could be
supported by step in a compatible way.

Still - I have no idea whether anyone ever worked on the 2d-part of step
in open source...

Cheers, Lars.