[cad-linux-dev] Re: variably formatted text (now with references:)

  • From: "cr88192" <cr88192@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:36:53 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Wilhelm" <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 10:02 AM
Subject: [cad-linux-dev] Re: variably formatted text (now with references:)

> > The following was supposedly scribed by
> > cr88192
> > on Sunday 07 December 2003 02:08 am:
>
> >> I sort of went off the end with a couple of those examples. The basic
> >>deal is that each item has a name (even if it is just a number getting
> >>used as a name) and a location in the organizational structure. This
> >>means that if you want to instantiate an item, you simply reference it
> >>by name. If you wanted to actually copy the cube#7 into your union,
> >>(such that changes to cube#7 have no effect on the union) you would make
> >>it cube#8.
>

> >hmm, I had typically viewed most things as annonymous, and organized into
> >fixed tree. this may just be me though...
>
> This is fine, but realize that their location in memory at least has an
> address, which is like a name.  The only difference is that you leave no
> way to instantiate the same object as itself (where changes to the
> original affect the instantiations.)  I think that any format which is
> going to extend all the way from 2D cad through 3D modeling and into
> parametric and relational modeling is going to have to support naming.
> If your program treats everything as anonymous, that is not a problem as
> long as the psuedo-random names which are generated and saved are
> unique.

not everything will be annonymous, just most things don't need a name...
naming is useful for things accessible from elsewhere, or for the sake of
users (they may want to name parts of the models).
if you say, have a chair, most of the geometry does not need names, but some
groups of geometry (eg: the seat or back) may usefully have names...

for parts that are used as functions it may be quite useful to have names,
eg, so one can be like:
(office-chair origin: #(0 0 0) height: 2 appolstery: (color #(1 0 0 1))
metal: (color #(0.25 0.25 0.1 1)))

having office chair as a function constructing approx a generic office
chair.

all for now.