[cad-linux-dev] Re: uber-converter layer names

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:29:57 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Bruno Postle
# on Friday 20 August 2004 11:28 am:

>On Thu 19-Aug-2004 at 14:27 -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>> With that said, we are still going to have to have a "name:"
>> attribute (which will appear as the layer name in autocad,
>> pythoncad, etc.)  And, to be able to rename layers without messing
>> with the entities, we must use a numeric ID for the layer (which,
>> yes, is related to the layer filename) where that numeric ID is
>> stored in each entity.
>
>Are you sure about this?

Yes.

>It is a 'layer of indirection' that is
>sometimes useful, but not always.  Won't it be confusing having a
>layer with "ID: 5" but "name: 6"?

Possibly, but the layerID would not usually be presented to the user by a
program.  If you want to be able to rename a layer directly in the hub
filesystem, you would need to make the change to only the layer entity.

>The renaming a layer problem can be solved by editing all the
>entities and changing the name there - Just the same as moving a
>bunch of entities or changing their colour.

This is possible, but should renaming a layer set a modification time to every
entity on the layer?  I think not.

Changing a color is a change at the entity level.  Moving an object to a
different layer is a change at the entity level.  But, if the entity is using
'bystyle' as its color, changing the color of the entity's style is not a
change at the entity level.  The same is true for a layer rename.

--Eric
--
"But as to modern architecture, let us drop it and let us take
modernistic out and shoot it at sunrise."