[cad-linux-dev] Re: square

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:04:33 -0600

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Massimiliano Mirra
> on Saturday 20 December 2003 11:43 am:

>> Now you want the square to be modifiable as a *regular polygon*.  But this
>> is just a scaling operation with a basepoint.
>
>Absolutely not.  One thing is the user wanting that rotate square get
>a side three inches long whereas it was two inches long a minute ago.
>A totally different thing is having the user calculate where the base
>point should be and what the scale factor should be so that that
>rotated square will have a side three inches long after the operation.

The question is:  "who is the user?"

If the user is a human, they could simply use a function which operates on
regular polygons by deriving a point and then calling the scale() function.

If the user is the scale_regular_polygon() function, the scale() function is
all it needs.

As a question of data structure, it is still just a polygon (maybe it is also
tagged as being "regular".)  The above argument is just a matter of
interface.  I don't see any problems with requiring a function to calculate a
base point, but I agree that a human should not have to do this.

--Eric

--
Cult: A small, unpopular religion.
Religion: A large, popular cult.