[cad-linux-dev] Re: spec

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:05:09 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Chris Somerlot
# on Wednesday 25 August 2004 02:18 pm:

>Yes, actually this brings up a whole other entity that I'm missing:
>coordinate systems.

Right, some sort of header entity?

>In acad circles are always drawn in the plane of a
>particular UCS.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that everything is stored according to OCS and that
there's no relationship to UCS saved in the file.

I'll rant for just a second about Object Coordinate Systems below.

Object Coordinate System  as used by acad is absolutely stupid.  In OCS, a
circle centered at the global point [5,3,7] will have a completely different
value for that point in OCS (which is a plane that shares the global origin.)

I can't see why they have done it this way, other than that it is some kind of
display optimization.  If it makes sense to anyone, please educate me.

>I'm wondering if I should just give a vector attribute
>to circles and arcs,

Yes.  Other entities will also need this (text, polylines), but note that this
is just a "normal vector".

>or give every geometric entity a coordsys
>attribute

NO!

>have the coordinate system defined as a separate entity,
>like layers.

yes, the UCS should be saved, but I don't think they should be associated with
entities in rhizopod (e.g. all entities live in one global coordinate space.)

--
"These crispix get soggy so quickly."
                                        -- Tina Connolly