[cad-linux-dev] lisp and math

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:29:14 -0600

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> cr88192
> on Sunday 07 December 2003 02:04 am:

>> I'm not too keen on lisp, since I have always found it to be
>> counter-intuitive when it comes to mathematical operations.

>I am not sure what is so "counter intuitive" about math in lisp though,
>unless maybe you are referring to the fact that it does not like thinking in
>terms of mathmatical expressions (instead viewing it as function
>application)?...

How do you write "a + 2 * b - c * 4 / q" in lisp?  My experience with it is
very limited.  I had started to study autolisp and got as far as:

        apply( '1 - '4)
        3

At that point I closed the book.  If there is a way to maintain the typical
order-of-operations (as you see them in algebra) in lisp, tell me what it is
and I'll get another book:)

--Eric

--
"It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a
hurry."