[cad-linux-dev] Re: layers and styles in sub-directories

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:26:31 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Bruno Postle
# on Monday 23 August 2004 01:51 pm:

>this allows you to have all or some of your layer definitions
>tucked away in some place that isn't automatically loaded:
>
>   layerID: layers/5.yml
>
>You could also have layer definitions that exist outside the
>drawing:
>
>   layerID: /export/standard-layers/5.yml
>
>Ultimately, layer/style/linetype definitions can be
>accessed with proper URLs:
>
>   layerID: http://www.example.com/standards/layers/5.yml

hmm. What about modifying layers based on an imported drawing?  Maybe the
filename and url stuff needs to wait until version 0.2?

Okay, but "layers/" is the default location of layer objects, so can
we just use a number if it's in there?

  layerID: 5

that would direct me to "layers/5.yml"

Another item to consider is that I don't need path support until it comes to
URL's.  I could just 'ln -s /export/standard-layers/5.yml layers/5.yml'

If and when URL's are added, I guess you could have the "file://" identifier.

>So, layers/styles/linetypes can be stored in sub-directories because
>they are only needed when referenced, whereas the geometry should
>exist in the root of the drawing because the geometry IS the drawing

I'll buy that, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea yet.  Just looking at how
the directory sorts,

0.yml
1.yml
layers
line_types
mark_styles
object_styles
text_styles

Our "headers" are now at the bottom.  From a human-interface standpoint, it
has problems.

One could argue that the geometry is only part of the drawing.  Depends on
your point-of-view.

We haven't even touch on acad's "paper space" yet, and pythoncad is just
starting to get printing.  Maybe "geometry/" should be "model/", and then we
have "layout-1/", etc. (or layouts/1/, layouts/2/ ?)

--Eric
--
Peer's Law: The solution to the problem changes the problem.