[cad-linux-dev] just curious: anything going on?...

  • From: "cr88192" <cr88192@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:14:12 +1000

it has been quite a while since I have heard much of anything from this list, so is anything still going on?...

in my case, I am working on a skeletal animation tool I have written (improving the ui and adding more features). note: not online, only on my system at present...

in my case, most of the modeling file formats are loosly coupled line-oriented text files (the model information tends to be spread between multiple files, most of which are largely unstructured and tabular).

in my case though, some difficulties still exist:
working with bone solids (my primary way of generating bone weights) is presently badly handled (albeit, this was only implemented yesterday). I am not sure if I am approaching this "correctly" either (or if there is another, more effective way of generating bone weights).

basically:
each bone has 0 or more solids, which are used for weight assignment;
for each vertex, a set of solids is found that intersect the vertex, and their respective weights are computed (merging any from the same bone). the rest (respresentation and behavior) was partly guessed from the doom3 md5 format, and hl2 smd.

I think the problem is that positioning of bones and of solids (and presumably also the solid weights) has a strong effect on how the model deforms, but I am not so sure what rules to go by here (more ends up as fiddling and trial and error when dealing with higher poly count models). seems the higher the poly count, the more sensitive the models have to these kind of issues, leading to in general low poly count models giving the best behavior...

and so forth...

otherwise, need more features... at least it works...

adding some support for doing skinning would be nice (my extisting modelers handle this one poorly). again, I will probably use "solids" of some sort. these will be positioned and orientated, and will work sort of like projectors...

currently thinking for now I will only support planes for skinning, as that would be simplest on the ui front. thought is that basically one will have planes that they can position and orientate, and using the faces' normals (and other features) the correct plane is chosen and they are mapped to that plane.

or such...