[cad-linux-dev] Re: dxf converter

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:06:08 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Bruno Postle
# on Wednesday 29 September 2004 05:07 am:

>>That's a long time to wait when a
>> Perl/C++ mix could do the same job in 2 seconds.
>
>Does it matter? =A0How often is this difference going to cause
>problems? =A0

Okay, probably not.  That was an 8.8MB dxf, and the average size of=20
the 329 dxf's in my tester group is 210KB.

>At this distance, it sounds premature to be worrying abouth these
>things.

Sure, but I'm trying to look-ahead a little to eliminate the need to=20
completely rewrite things later.

I don't want a huge amount of abstraction here, but I think a couple=20
of layers would be good to unify the interfaces to dxf and dwg.

Right now, I think I'm going to head toward a Perl module for each=20
format.  This allows me to later add compiled extensions if needed to=20
speed things up.

To some extent, I was also thinking that using an existing library=20
would save some effort, but it doesn't look like that is the case=20
with Dime, and the others I've seen have been discouraging at best.

=2D-Eric
=2D-=20
Introducing change is like pulling off a bandage: the pain is a memory
almost as soon as you feel it.
                                        --Paul Graham