[cad-linux-dev] Re: GtkCAD 0.2.0 is released ....

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:49:02 -0600

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# cr88192
# on Thursday 03 March 2005 04:30 pm:

>> I am still using an old fashion Makefile, so it does not do any
>> checking for dependancies. =A0Anyone with expertise, I sure could use
>> the help in converting to Automake/Autoconfig.
>
>imo, I would suggest not doing this.
>autoconfig is good when it works, but when it doesn't everything goes
>totally to hell and the thing is some beast that is in my experience
> often unfixable...

The m4 thing is pretty complicated.  I myself have been looking at=20
Module::Build, which is supposed to be the "new way" to build Perl=20
programs and has been designed from the ground up not to rely on=20
Makefiles.

Does it work for C/C++ programs?  Probably not.  Could it?  Probably.

The autoconf nightmare exists because it was designed from the beginning=20
with all of the warts of various systems and compilers in mind in order=20
to achieve maximum portability.  Even if you do get a minimal autoconf=20
setup working, I'm pretty sure it doesn't check for autoconf=20
dependencies, so then you're back in hell again :-)   I would say that=20
your best bet would be to work on making a .deb package and if you can=20
do that without autoconf, then do it.  Alien (IIRC) can turn that into=20
an rpm, and anyone running the rest of the systems would then have to=20
read the documentation to get their dependencies sorted out.

=2D-Eric
=2D-=20
Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to=20
predict the future is to invent it.=20
                                                 -- Alan Kay
    http://scratchcomputing.com