[cabs103] CABS 103 Lesson 3 Question 5

  • From: "jim and troyann" <jandtbanas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "j d g" <cabs103@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:52:18 -0500

Having two sons, my wife and I are concerned about their use of the Internet,
no matter how closely we supervise them. Obscenity and pornography are readily
available, whether or not one is intentionally looking for them. This site:
http://www4.nas.edu/onpi/webextra.nsf/web/porn?OpenDocument
offers a lot of "fixes" to the problem, but admits that none are  foolproof and
many require adult supervision or monitoring.  Many of the devices (filters,
passwords, monitors, etc.) work to a point, but the authors admit the best way
to help children avoid these sites is to teach them responsible use of the
Internet.  I'm afraid that is like giving each child in this country a loaded
gun and then trying to teach them to use it only in safe, productive ways.  I
think that this approach is applicable only in some far off Utopia that doesn't
exist anywhere that I've visited.  I can't imagine too many curious, pubescent
boys (and probably girls) who wouldn't be strongly tempted to try these sites
if given any chance at all.  Instead of putting the onus on parents, teachers,
etc. to monitor and train the children of today, it seems greater focus should
be on the purveyors of obscene sites and make them unavailable except to
adults.

Jim Banas
jandtbanas@xxxxxxxxx
God Bless America