[bvipilots] Re: solving the unsolvable: visual approach at cyba flight 004 around the world as a bvi pilot

  • From: Jason Fayre <jfayre@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 16:47:59 -0400

Wow, your running fsx in a vm? Keep in mind that fsx is quite taxing on a basic system. No idea what that would behave like in a vm.

On 8/20/2013 4:21 PM, Noel Romey wrote:
I wonder if this flight is made more difficult for my processor since
I am using a virtual machine to run fsx? I really need to get windows
installed to a new partition because I know I have plenty of processor
and memory, but I know that when my issue seems to happen, engines
rev, the thing says that speed is no longer being controlled and
inexplicably I end up full throttle no crash sound but Michelle
welcomes me to banff. With the airport off to the side which is very
odd.

I have a second pc I could use. May have to check out widefs. Sounds
like a cool way to run fsx.

Noel.

On Aug 20, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Jason Fayre <jfayre@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
Its been a long time.  As I remember, Robert had to make a change to IYP in
order to handle that incoming banf flight.  As far as taking off from banf, I
remember you needed to adjust your rate of climb and make a turn almost
immediately after takeoff.  Let me did back through my e-mail and I'll see what
I find.
As far as manual control, I don't.  I usually let Michelle do all the work.  I
would like to do more manual control, but I haven't found a good way to do
this.  I do have an extremely hacked together way of getting various info from
FSX to show up on a Braille display.  This requires a second PC and WideFS, but
it does work.  Its really quite cool actually!  You can see your airspeed,
altitude, heading, etc, all change in real time.

On 8/20/2013 3:49 PM, Noel Romey wrote:
Hey Jason
See my previous message about this flight but I do mention that I
tried it with a beech barob as well with no real success. Do you take
the control of the stick at times when you are descending too quickly?
Still can't figure how you make it happen but I swear I must make it
work some day. Lolm

On Aug 18, 2013, at 1:01 AM, Jason Fayre <jfayre@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
I did that flight in a Baron 58.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Flying in and out of Banf is tricky!  Maybe Robert or someone else can chime in
here, because I don't remember what I did to get around this.  Leaving Banf is
extremely tricky as well.

On 8/18/2013 12:09 AM, Noel Romey wrote:
Hey guys,

My idea of a nice day is not spending it three miles from the airport
impaled in a mountain.  've flown from kalw to cyba (banff) twice now
and I can reproduce the issue perfectly every time.

About 30 miles out, after gong up and down from 11 to 12000 a couple
times, skiming mountains I guess, I execute the descent checklist.
Speed drops to 120m abd checklist is completed. At 10 miles, I am told
to turn to 360 and go straig t in for visual on runway 36.  At this
point, I execute the approach checklist and at the same time, tell
Michelle to "Prepare to land on runway 36".  She obliges, I think, Oh
yeah, I'm also told to descend to 6400, all these things at the same
time.  I'm in a mooney bravo so climb rate isn't the greatest I guess,
so maybe this is the problem.  I descend pretty quickly to about 1800
agl, gear goes down, all is green, then it says "man, it's getting
bumpy".  Engines rev up to full, fsx beeps, and with throttle at full,
and iyp telling me that she's no longer controlling my speed, and the
"if I don't want her to control landing I should turn auto pilot off",
my speed is 0, and I'm 4 oclock from runway at 2700 feet 3 miles away.
  NOw I know taht the runway isn't 3 miles long, and though Michelle
warmly welcomes me to Banff, I assume I'm in Bnaff, in someone's back
yard or something or in a mountain, I'm not landed.

I know this is possible as someone blind has completed more flights
than 4, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or why iyp is getting
confused.  Is atc giving me the descend too late and I should jsut
disregard them and descend more slowly?  I was concerned that I'd hit
a mountain on the way in as I didn't know where the mountains ended.
Airport elevation is 4500 ft, so I'd have 6500 feet to descend which
should be plenty to be done in 10 miles.  Any thoughts guys?
Really enjoying this challenge of flying.

Noel