[bvipilots] live ATC, and what it means for us

  • From: Scott Shade <fabian754@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 12:19:28 -0400

Okay, if someone can cue me in on where to look for this data, I'd be greatful. I'd like to experiment with flying a flight on vatsim using the live ATC mode, butt, a few questions come to mind. First, with live ATC mode a squawk box file gets created by IYP from the existing flightplan. It was my experience before, when I tried this, that using high altitude airways, or using the VOR to VOR plan mode, didn't entirely match with the routes that Vatsim operators wanted us to use. Keep in mind, that this was a couple years ago when I tried this. Where's a good site to go to so that flight plans can be done, that will be workable with vatsim operators, or, how have people worked around that issue as a BvI pilot before? Second, I had a controler that covers the air space around columbus Ohio from cleveland tell me that for my landings, given my situation, I should request a precision approach to the runway, so that I would be in line to intercept glide slopes and the like. Is this approach similar to what the microsoft ATC does for us when bringing us in? Finally, since Vatsim has a training organization, with supervisory staff in place, what has been people's experiences with getting alternative services from the staff, such as allowing for the slew to runway and or gate, and or the go around approaches, since we can't hold on a specific VOR yet, or the inability to fly sid and star pairs for our routes? Maybe it was my lack of preparation, or maybe I just had people that weren't prepared to be accomodating, but, when I tried this last time, I got a supervisor for chicago tell me that I needed to know and use my charts and that it wasn't his responsibility to give me the data for the airport approaches as I should have that on my charts. This is not the thing you want to hear as you're coming in to chicago O'Hare, and, obviously, those nice glossy graphic charts don't mean to much to me. Seriously though, it did leave me with a decidedly negative experience, and I'm hoping, that it really was this guy being insensative. So I"m hoping that a bit more preparation as to my options, and an idea of what others have done for successful flights, will help me out. Thanks much for the help all.

Sincerely,
Scott