[burt-all] Re: Update

  • From: Nicholas Doucette <nd2009@xxxxxx>
  • To: burt-all@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:30:40 -0400

Sounds good, now we just need to pass in the forms for SAO. Aaron, are they all ready to submit? I will be glad to drop them off with you Aaron or with anyone available. Just let me know when they are all set to go.

Thanks,

Nick
On Sep 16, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Chris Calvitto wrote:

Hey everyone,

After talking to Eric Miller the other day about merchandising, he informed me that the ENG student govt was purchasing T-shirts for $5. After talking to Jenna she said that most official university organizations can get a discount on merchandise, shirts, hats ...etc, by purchasing through the universities supplier. So i think we should wait on ordering anything else until we get officially recognized by SAO, this way we might be able to actually turn a profit instead of selling stuff close to cost.

-Chris

glthanav@xxxxxx wrote:

Hey guys,

Thats awesome about all the freshman,I can speak from experience though when I
say that the number of people who get on the mailing list will dwarf the number
of people who actually become active members.

I have no problem with giving a little talk at the meeting about whats going on
with Project G. When is this first freshman meeting taking place? I dont have
enough stuff for a power point right now.

If people want tshirts, take orders and collect money, i dont really wanna put
down the money for like 50 tshirts or something. I can have them probably in 2
weeks once u tell me the order.

-g

Quoting Nicholas Doucette <nd2009@xxxxxx>:

Hey all,

I just wanted to give everyone an update from the EK100 fair. Our
popularity has now magnified exponentially. This is great news, but
it is also a little bit of a problem. Instead of having 5 - 10 Freshmen interested, we know have 78 (or something like that) emails
on multiple lists for people who are interested in joining the team. So, with all of these new people, we need a plan of attack to keep
some interested and how to implement them into the work of the team.
A few of us discussed what we can do and I just wanted to list the
ideas and what we need to do in the next week that is crucial to making this team fully functional with a large group of members:

- This monday we will have an "informational" meeting with all the
new sign ups of the Freshmen class. We will show them the slide show
that John put together last year that shows the research we are involved in. We will then discuss the concept of Greg's rocket (now
called Project 'G'). Greg, you can present that if you would like to
the Freshmen. You can talk about your design and your plan. After
showing the Freshmen an abundance of stuff they probably have no idea
about, we will then tell them that we are a research and design team, so research does need to be conducted. In that case, we will
need them to do research on their own and share with us at the next
meeting what they have found that will be of use to us (for example, the regression rate of HTPB, flow of N2O, etc.).

- After that meeting is over, we can discuss the Estes competition
we want to host. We will be purchasing a 24 pack of .5A engines and
then host a building competition the following week to build small
rockets out of coinstruction paper, paper clips, cardboard, etc. In
the week after or two weeks after, we will launch them in a nearby
field and hopefully have money to buy a prize for the winner ( a rocket kit or something geeky).

- From here we can do two things, keep having them research stuff
for us and relaying the info or try and keep them occupied doing little events like the rocket building competition. The latter will

probably turn into an AIAA type group, so the former is more advisable. We will most likely only need to meet with everyone once
or twice a month to see the progress of research and design. This
does not limit the current members from meeting more frequently however. The Freshmen can aid us in finding suppliers, sending emails, and doing all the trivial work.

Sorry for this long email, but I just wanted to get all this info out
to everyone. I hope you all share the same feelings as I do about this. I want to make this work with all the new members, and I want
to keep them engaged in the group as well, not outcast them. We have
a ton of work ahead of us to look forward to which will lead us to a
ton of progress we can achieve as well. See you all Monday night.

- Nick

Freelists.org Faq: //www.freelists.org/wiki/the_faq

BU Rocket Team Mailing List
Homepage: http://burt.schtuff.com/