[burt-all] Re: Update

  • From: Chris Calvitto <calvitto@xxxxxx>
  • To: burt-all@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:24:58 -0400

Hey again,

Concerning the meeting on Monday at 8, i talked to the universities reservation office about getting a bigger room in photonics, and they said we need at least 6 days notice to get a room outside the GSU. Jenna mentioned something about getting someone she knew to get us a bigger room, but i was just wondering how we usually go about reserving rooms. Seth, i think this is your area of expertise..... any thoughts?

-Chris

Nicholas Doucette wrote:
The meeting is monday at 8 pm. We can mention the shirts to everyone at the meeting and see what feedback we get.

On Sep 15, 2006, at 9:09 PM, glthanav@xxxxxx wrote:

Hey guys,

Thats awesome about all the freshman,I can speak from experience though when I
say that the number of people who get on the mailing list will dwarf the number
of people who actually become active members.

I have no problem with giving a little talk at the meeting about whats going on
with Project G. When is this first freshman meeting taking place? I dont have
enough stuff for a power point right now.

If people want tshirts, take orders and collect money, i dont really wanna put
down the money for like 50 tshirts or something. I can have them probably in 2
weeks once u tell me the order.

-g

Quoting Nicholas Doucette <nd2009@xxxxxx>:

Hey all,
I just wanted to give everyone an update from the EK100 fair. Our

popularity has now magnified exponentially. This is great news, but

it is also a little bit of a problem. Instead of having 5 - 10
Freshmen interested, we know have 78 (or something like that) emails

on multiple lists for people who are interested in joining the team.

So, with all of these new people, we need a plan of attack to keep

some interested and how to implement them into the work of the team.

A few of us discussed what we can do and I just wanted to list the

ideas and what we need to do in the next week that is crucial to
making this team fully functional with a large group of members:

    - This monday we will have an "informational" meeting with all the

new sign ups of the Freshmen class. We will show them the slide show

that John put together last year that shows the research         we are
involved in. We will then discuss the concept of Greg's rocket (now

called Project 'G'). Greg, you can present that if you would like to

the Freshmen. You can talk about your design and your plan. After

showing the Freshmen an abundance of stuff they probably have no idea

about, we will     then tell them that we are a research and design
team, so research does need to be conducted. In     that case, we will

need them to do research on their own and share with us at the next

meeting         what they have found that will be of use to us (for
example, the regression rate of HTPB, flow of         N2O, etc.).

    - After that meeting is over, we can discuss the Estes competition

we want to host. We will be purchasing a 24 pack of .5A engines and

then host a building competition the following week to build small

rockets out of coinstruction paper, paper clips, cardboard, etc. In

the week after or two     weeks after, we will launch them in a nearby

field and hopefully have money to buy a prize for the     winner ( a
rocket kit or something geeky).

    - From here we can do two things, keep having them research stuff

for us and relaying the info or try and keep them occupied doing
little events like the rocket building competition. The latter will

probably turn into an AIAA type group, so the former is more
advisable. We will most likely only need to meet with everyone once

or twice a month to see the progress of research and design. This

does not limit the current members from meeting more frequently
however. The Freshmen         can aid us in finding suppliers, sending
emails, and doing all the trivial work.

Sorry for this long email, but I just wanted to get all this info out

to everyone. I hope you all share the same feelings as I do about
this. I want to make this work with all the new members, and I want

to keep them engaged in the group as well, not outcast them. We have

a ton of work ahead of us to look forward to which will lead us to a

ton of progress we can achieve as well. See you all Monday night.

- Nick

To unsubscribe from this list: send an email to
burt-all-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with unsubscribe in the Subject.
Freelists.org Faq: //www.freelists.org/wiki/the_faq

BU Rocket Team Mailing List
Homepage: http://burt.schtuff.com/