[burpg] The Mk IIb: Overview, Schedule

  • From: Armor Harris <armorharris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 00:53:50 -0400

Hey everybody,

IIb or mach IIb, that is the question. We're ready to answer that question
by kicking off the Mk IIb project.

Here are the key dates:
Feet wet teleconference: Friday at 5pm (east coast time)
Preliminary Design Review (CAD models complete): May 31
Critical Design Review (Ready to begin fabrication): June 14
Tank Hydrotest and tank drain tests: June 28
Hot Fire 1: July 12

The driver for this is information that we'd like to have for the Mk V
before we lock in the long lead parts (the design of which must be done by
July 19).

Here's the spreadsheet for who wants to sign up to do what. We want people
in Boston to be the ones who design the actual hardware because they're
going to have to get it machined, but there's some theoretical work too
that people can help out with who aren't in Boston.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmBjfyZBss8gdEtzZ3lDaE5Ud1B1clExby1GUmdJSVE&usp=docslist_api#gid=1

Sindel is going to be the leader of this project for the time being, and
it'll be a good experience for him to get some leadership experience as
well as for everyone else to get some experience designing a hybrid rocket.

A specifications document is in the google drive under the Mk IIb folder,
in addition to a MATLAB script that calculates all of the design numbers
and simulates the performance. I suggest reading this and taking a look at
the code to see what it does.

I'm going to be getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow morning so I might
not be able to answer any emails for a few days, but go ahead and send me
any questions that you have and I might send some really interested
this week so we can have a good chat on Friday to answer questions that
have come up and help provide a little more direction than what is provided
here.

Sindel, you should make a diagram of the system so everyone knows where and
how their parts fit together for Friday.

This is going to be really cool for a lot of people to get a chance to work
together on this and design a rocket that will provide a lot of good
information for us to design the mk V.

Best,
Armor