[burpg] Re: Ground Software development

  • From: "Kelley, Andrew, Todd" <atkelley@xxxxxx>
  • To: "burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:01:55 +0000

See my responses below in red.

__________________

Drew Kelley

________________________________
From: burpg-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [burpg-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of
Mehmet Akbulut [meak@xxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 2:23 PM
To: burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [burpg] Re: Ground Software development

Here is my 5 cents as an ex-IT person:

- DreamSpark gives Visual Studio Pro free of charge to all students. You could
be an art major and they wouldn't care. Just to make sure, I tried getting it
today and they don't care about what classes you are taking or what your major
is. All you need to be is a student which we all are.
Cool! Didn't know that.

- Java runs on JVM, Java Virtual Machine, which makes it cross-platform.
Brandon was probably referring to this. Just because it is a VM, doesn't
necessarily mean it will be slow.
Correct.

- I hate C# but since we already have a working system in C# and personnel
experienced in that, we should stick with it and improve.
Not necessarily. Experience with a particular language doesn't necessarily mean
it's the best option. The really valuable stuff gained from the previous
software is the design experience: how to do multi-threaded networks, data
logging, board comms, etc. True, getting some experience with particular
libraries makes things easier going forward but the java libraries are similar
and in some ways, better.

- C# can be made cross-platform through Mono. We can have the control software
on our iPhones and Androids if we wanted. Regardless, I don't think
cross-platform compatibility should be a selling point for us.
Hell no. Talk about buggy?

If we use Java, we should just go for OpenMCT.
Lawl.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Dean De Carli
<ddecarli@xxxxxx<mailto:ddecarli@xxxxxx>> wrote:

Hey Linux is my preferred environment by the way.

On Jun 23, 2014 12:24 PM, "Jiehong Brandon Chung"
<jbxchung@xxxxxx<mailto:jbxchung@xxxxxx>> wrote:
Just to clarify - I'm not saying Java isn't a good language to use, I'm just
saying since we've already used C# I think the advantage of working with
something we have experience with outweighs the advantage of cross-platform
compatibility, which I'm not sure we even need (unless we aren't using a
Windows machine to run it, or we have an influx of developers who don't have
Windows machines).

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Armor Harris
<armorharris@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:armorharris@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Bradon makes a good point though. Just because other people use Java doesn't
mean that we have to. We want to avoid re-inventing the wheel on as much as
possible.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Dean De Carli
<ddecarli@xxxxxx<mailto:ddecarli@xxxxxx>> wrote:
Let's save the discussions for the PDR tonight, and also keep in mind that the
mission control software that NASA uses is written is Java and uses swing.

https://sites.google.com/site/openmct/

Dean A. De Carli
Boston University
Electrical Engineering 2016

BU EDF Student Technician
BU SEDS President
BU AIAA Vice President
Boston University Rocket Propulsion Group Systems Integration and Electronics
Lead Engineer

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Jiehong Brandon Chung
<jbxchung@xxxxxx<mailto:jbxchung@xxxxxx>> wrote:
I didn't realize we had a cross-platform compatibility issue before, since all
of us had Windows machines anyway. And a full version of Visual Studio is free
via Dreamspark, which we all have access to as BU students. Also correct me if
I'm wrong here but wouldn't running a virtual machine to run this program be
more resource intensive, which is something we had an issue with when we were
working with that Toshiba we used for the on-site system?
And from a development standpoint, I feel like there'd be quite a learning
curve with the Swing framework (I'm assuming that's what you had in mind?).
Since I've been working with .NET in C# for a few years, and since a lot of the
things we learned from building the MkIV software would be transferrable, I
think development would go more quickly through that route. Also, if the
majority of new developers have to learn one framework or the other anyway, I
think it would be useful to have someone as a reference to ask questions to.
Unless you or someone you had in mind is already comfortable with Swing and can
take that role.
Basically my vote is that unless our end product is going to be run on a
Mac/Linux machine, or we have a lot of developers who don't have Windows
machines, we should build this in C# with the .NET framework.

- Brandon

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Kelley, Andrew, Todd
<atkelley@xxxxxx<mailto:atkelley@xxxxxx>> wrote:
That’s a good question. Mainly because Java supports cross-platform
compatibility. It’s risky being tied down to any given operating system or
computer when you have something on the critical path. Java is also completely
open source and doesn’t require Visual Studio to edit/compile making it
somewhat more flexible and lighter weight. It also allows Mac/Linux users to
work on the project.

-Drew