[burpg] CAD Standards and Drawing Template

  • From: Armor Harris <armorharris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 11:06:30 -0700

Hey guys,

A couple of things that I wanted to throw out there now that more people
are doing CAD and making drawings.

*1) The origin of your part or assembly needs to be in a logical place.*
Your model should not be floating in some random point in space. For
example, in my model of the full up rocket, I have the origin located at
the tip of the nose cone with one axis pointing down the length of the
rocket. This does a few important things:

  -Whenever I compute the mass properties, the center of gravity will be
computed as a distance from the nose cone and all of the moments of inertia
and stuff will be right.

  - I can see inside in two planes by clicking the section view button at
the top of the view window

  - Complex drawing views will look right if the origin is in a good spot

*2) Everyone should use Solidworks 2013* as a standard for compatibility.
If you don't have it, we will hook you up with it.

*3) We have a drawing template that you really should use.* It has the
proper tolerancing built in- I have no idea why the default solidworks
template doesn't show three decimal place accuracy, for instance. It's in
Reference -> CAD Standards and there is a PDF with installation
instructions.

*4) All parts need to be numbered*. If it's a part that we buy, use the
manufacturer's part number. If it's a part that we make, give it a logical
numbering scheme. Sindel uses TSXX for all of the test stand parts, the Mk
3 was 300-400, the Mk IV was 400-500, and I use 500-1100 is for the Mk V.
Ground parts should start with G or something. This prevents confusion when
referring to parts. If I say "aft bulkhead" there's like three of those in
the rocket. But if I say "704" then everyone knows what I'm talking about
or can go look it up in the CAD folder.

*5) All models need to have the material specified*

*6) Use color for clarity*- don't be afraid to make all of your parts a
different color so it's easy to see how it fits together.

*7) Don't use the built in o-ring tool.* It can be right if everything is
set up perfectly, but it takes all of the thinking and tolerancing out of
it. All of the o-ring glands that I have seen generated with the tool have
not been right.

I think that's it for now. Hope that helps, as it will make communication a
lot easier when it comes to models.

Best,
Armor