[bulug] Re: proposed presentations/tutorials for BU-LUG meeting

  • From: "Jimmy C. Chau" <chaujc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:33:58 -0500

Thanks for the feedback.  (I hope everyone had their chance to respond.)

Seems like 13 (Basic LaTeX) and 2 (Linux wireless routers) are the most
interesting.  From Ryan's response, it seems like we've been trying to
do a LaTeX tutorial for some time, so I'll prepare a LaTeX tutorial first.

It'll take me a few days to prepare, but I should have something ready
by Wednesday.  (So, Ryan, feel free to setup a meeting for any day from
Wednesday on; any time after 5pm should be fine with me.)

In case anyone wants to contribute a complementary tutorial,

    * I will cover
          o pronunciation of LaTeX
          o what software you need
          o some reasons to use LaTeX
          o starting a LaTeX document (basic document; nothing special)
          o LaTeX to DVI, PostScript, or PDF
          o topmatter: title, author, date
          o things that go into the document:
                + abstract, sections, subsections, subsubsections,
                  paragraph, subparagraph
                + table of contents
                + mathematical formulas
                + tables
                + lists
                + footnotes
                + labels and references
                + graphics, figures, subfigures, and captions
          o bibliography
          o some useful packages
          o some useful options for the article document class
          o references/resources
                + LaTeX cheat sheet
                + the tutorial I used to learn LaTeX basics
          o examples
    * I will not cover
          o anything other than the article document class
          o defining your own commands
          o LaTeX styles

--
-Jimmy C. Chau