[bulug] Re: Ubuntu Installation

  • From: "Jimmy C. Chau" <jchau@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:47:58 -0400

While being cautious rarely hurts, I doubt that repartitioning your hard
drive or installing Linux will void your computer's warranty.  Most
computer warranties only cover the hardware (e.g., if the hard drive
crashes) and not software (e.g., if Internet Explorer crashes).  Just as
you wouldn't void your warranty by installing a new game on your
computer, you shouldn't void your warranty just by installing a new
operating system.

That said, some manufacturers will gladly void your warranty for any
reason you give them, so I'm not guaranteeing anything.  They may also
be unable to provide support when you call them (e.g., if you tell them
that you can't use your printer, they may run out of ideas when you tell
them that the "Start" menu and the "Control Panel" are missing), so you
may need to be able to diagnose your computer problems without their help.

I have a Dell Latitude, and I know they don't mind that I have Linux
installed (and removed MS Windows); in fact, when I send my computer in
for repairs, they tell me to remove my hard drive first (so that they're
not responsible for the data).

--
-Jimmy C. Chau
<jchau@xxxxxx>