[bulug] Re: Ubuntu Installation

  • From: "Broka, Andi" <brokaa@xxxxxx>
  • To: <bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:18:38 -0400

Since you're new to Linux you might want to install Ubuntu via wubi http://wubi-installer.org/ . This way you won't have to repartition your hard drive. Repartitoning your hard drive might void your laptop manufacturor's warranty.

While Ubuntu is probably the best choice for a laptop Linux distro, if you have a spare machine you might want to give BU Linux a try. It's based on Red Hat / CentOS, the most prominent Linux distro in industry and most importantly it works very nicely in BU network environment.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 27, 2009, at 3:09 PM, "Lauren Groves" <grover323@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi BULUG!

I stopped by the BU Linux Users Group table at the activities expo and am really interested in learning more about Linux and as an alternative to a Windows OS. I scheduled an appointment with the IT Help Center next Friday to have my laptop reformatted and the guy I talked to (luke) said they can partition the hard drive so I can install an alternative o/s (he recommended ubuntu?)

As an opportunity to build up some good Karma I was wondering if any of you kind-hearted BULUG peeps would be willing to talk with me for a few minutes before this Friday to get more information as to how working on a Linux OS will work (pros, cons, and ideally take a peek at what it looks like if you have it running??) I'm pretty self- sufficient but was also hoping I could connect with someone who might I could reach out to to actually get the Linux OS up and running?

:)

~Lauren