[bulug] Re: Odd Ubuntu problem

  • From: Ryan Mullen <rmullen@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 07:27:41 -0400

Hi Ben,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 01:33:38AM -0400, Benjamin Kraus wrote:
> I had very unusual problem happen with my Ubuntu desktop earlier today.
> My girlfriend called me at work to tell me that my Ubuntu desktop (still
> running Maverick) had rebooted itself, and was having trouble starting.
> After a little digging, I suspected that perhaps an automatic update had
> failed and went to check my /var/log/dpkg.log to see what packages had
> been updated. That is when I discovered that roughly 350 packages had
> been removed from the system, including "acpi-support",
> "ubuntu-desktop", "xorg", "nautilus", "metacity", "compiz", "cpp",
> "gcc", "g++", etc. It is as though someone picked one very essential
> package, and forced it to be uninstalled along with all dependencies of
> that package.

That's fairly unsettling - could you determine that the removal of the
packages coincided with a scheduled automatic update? Do you automate
dist-upgrade as well as upgrade?

> I'm writing the list for two reasons:
> 1) I use http://www.lug.bu.edu/mirror/ubuntu/ as my Ubuntu repository,
> and I'm wondering if anyone else on this list who uses the LUG
> repository had any similar problems yesterday.

I've gone through the server logs and there are some intermittent errors
in the rsync output from the scheduled sync to the master Ubuntu mirror.
These have been appearing for months now (I wasn't checking vigilantly)
and I'm following up with the ubuntu-mirrors list to see if this is a
dangerous state to be in. The exact error is:

IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion

Anyway, if anyone out there other than Ben is using this mirror, I would
recommend switching to a different one until this is sorted out.

Thanks for reporting this,
Ryan
_________