[bulug] Re: New Lenovo X200 issues

  • From: "Annuska Riedlmayer" <zszsnn@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 14:55:06 -0400

> Separately the built-in camera doesn't work and the battery life sucks!

Just how sucky is this sucky battery life? Lenovo estimates up to 3.3
hours for the 4-cell battery, 6.5 hours for the 6-cell, and 9.8 hours
for the 9-cell. If you're getting significantly less than that, and
you don't just have a bad battery, my first question would be what are
you doing with the laptop while it's on battery power? If you're doing
video editing in GNOME while burning a CD and using wireless, that's
naturally going to drain your battery a lot faster than if you're
doing text editing in Fluxbox and not using any peripheral devices.

Another thing to check: are you running laptop-mode? If you chose the
"laptop" category when installing Ubuntu, it should have been
installed and configured then, but if you don't have it, I recommend
that you apt-get laptop-mode; it's a decent way to save power.

Good general resources for laptop users to consult are
www.linux-on-laptops.com and tuxmobil.org. They host and link to
several good "how-to" guides, as well as the experiences of others
installing various flavours of Linux on various models of laptop.

You can check to see if your webcam is supported by the UVC drivers here:
http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/#devices
The chart's "Device ID" column may be the most helpful if 'lsusb'
reports something vague like "OEM webcam" as your camera's name.

Hope that helps,

Annuska
_________