[bulug] Migrating to BU GMail for Education

  • From: Ben Carr <bencarr@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 17:29:13 -0400

LUG,
I was very disappointed that BU IT's suggestion for moving ACS mail to
BU GMail for Education was to use IMAP on a desktop client:

2) Move, by dragging, any message(s) that you wish to move from one
account to the other.

The solution I found was of course an open source one (this uses python):
        http://offlineimap.org/
        https://github.com/nicolas33/offlineimap
I am currently migrating a few thousand messages without them touching
the local machine. There are a couple of idiosyncrasies that I found,
and didn't find well documented on the web.

The "remoterepository" field makes sense, you set it to BU ACS. The
"localrepository" need to be set to GMail's IMAP server.

The upside of doing it this way is that it turns your folder structure
into nested "GMail Labels" this can even be paired with the "Nested
Labels" GMail Labs feature to recreate your folder structure. I still
need to upload my Local Mail, but this saved me a bunch of bandwidth,
and does logical syncing so you can make sure that everything is setup
correctly before making the "true" cut-over by adding a forward to ACS.

I hope this helps someone (a cleaned config file is included below).

-Ben

_dot_offlineimaprc:
[general]
accounts = sync_bu
ui = Curses.Blinkenlights, TTY.TTYUI, Noninteractive.Basic,
Noninteractive.Quiet
maxsyncaccount = 1
ignore-readonly = no
socktimeout = 60

[Account sync_bu]
remoterepository = bu_imap
localrepository = bu_gmail

[Repository bu_imap]
type = IMAP
remotehost = acs-imap.bu.edu
ssl = yes
remoteport = 993
remoteuser = $BU_USERNAME
remotepass = $BU_PASSWORD
maxconnections = 3
holdconnectionopen = no
#to only sync only these folders (Test it out):
#folderfilter = lambda foldername: foldername in ['INBOX','Test']
#to restrict folders (Sent needs to go to GMail "Sent Mail" but solved)
#folderfilter = lambda foldername: foldername not in ['Sent','Trash']
#This renames from 'Sent' to the GMail 'Sent Mail' on the fly:
#nametrans = lambda foldername: re.sub('Sent', '[Gmail]/Sent Mail',
foldername)

[Repository bu_gmail]
type = IMAP
remotehost = imap.gmail.com