[bulug] Re: LUG-Supported VPN instructions

  • From: Ryan Mullen <rmullen@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:11:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Jimmy C. Chau wrote:

I took a brief look at the webpage and I'd like to say that I prefer to use
two vpnc config files instead: one for bu-oncampus and one for bu-off
campus.  Also, if the username is omitted from the config file, vpnc will
prompt for both the username and password; this allows for more generic
config files that a user can use out of the box.  I'll include a copy of my
configs once I get back to my personal computer.

Sure, sounds good. As long as the configuration and usage instructions are
straightforward, anything goes. It might be worth noting that the majority of
viewers of this page will be connecting from inside the network (we're hoping to
show them this page instead of the PCSC page when they attempt to use BU wifi)
so perhaps the offcampus config, while it should be provided, should not be
placed in an equally as prominent location as the oncampus config.

Also, I suggest we put the wireless part to another page and just include a
link to it on the VPN page.  This way, I can add instructions for
wpa-supplicant, which would allow a user to have unprotected, WEP, and
WPA(1/2) networks setup at the same time.  The wpa-supplicant configs are
also more portable (except for the driver part) since many distros have
their own way of configuring iwconfig.

This is a good idea as well. It would keep clutter down and be easier to
navigate. Wpa_supplicant is a great tool - it would be straightforward to
include one of those "cat << EOF" commands followed by a sed one-liner in the
howto so that the conf gets created and a designated placeholder gets found and
replaced with the appropriate wifi device. Feel free to open up work on another
page and make links to it.

I didn't know we had a wiki-like page.

It's not ours (BULUG's) so we don't have administrative privs or anything like
that. I'm not sure specifically who is in charge of it but it seems like a
pretty cool resource to have handy. If you're interested, I expect getting in
touch with jbardin or mattdm at bu would get you some answers.

BTW, our page claims to be "Valid HTML 4.01", but if anyone actually follows
that link to validate (I did), w3.org tells us that the HTML is *invalid*.
If we can, we should remove that claim of validation until the page is valid
(as someone who actually takes the effort to make compliant webpages, I
care).

Unfortunately, I think that's the admin's and Moin's problem, not ours. We
aren't able to edit that location of the page and we don't have access to the
server-side page generation scripts. It's pretty funny that you point this out,
however. Nice catch :D

Just for preservation...
http://collaborate.bu.edu/moin/Linux%20VPN%20Client%20Howto

Ryan