[bulug] Re: LUG Server: Purchased

  • From: "Jimmy C. Chau" <jchau@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 21:37:08 -0400

Thanks, Alex.

But for the PVR thing, with enough resources and the right setup, it
can work reliably.  There are many documented cases where a
Linux-based PVR works; all we have to do is read through them and
select the best.  Also, the fact that we're not limited to USB ports
for connecting the USB tuner (I assume; correct me if I'm wrong,
Ryan), we can select from a wider range of tuner cards (increasing the
probability that our system will work when built).  Another advantage
that we have (over my flaky [laptop + USB TV tuner] combo) is more
resources; we can probably get some funding for this from the SAO
(especially if we can somehow make this available to all of BU (not
sure if our server can handle that load though); maybe if only LUG
members can adjust the recording schedule & everyone else can watch
the recordings)).

The only reason why my PVR setup was flaky was because I bought the
cheapest USB TV tuner that I could find that someone online mentioned
worked under Linux: HVR-950.  There are however TV tuner cards that
are designed to work with Linux and for which the manufacture provides
support; for example, the pcHDTV HD-5500 (which a friend working on
the PVR thing for Ingalls a few years back mentioned).

Also, many higher-end TV tuners have hardware to do the transcoding
(so it wouldn't tie up the CPU as much).

Ryan, do you know if this server will be installed near a cable TV
connection?

BTW, does CS (I assume counter strike) run on Linux?  Well, doesn't
matter for me anyway: a recent update of a few Xorg-Intel packages
destroyed the already minimal graphics performance on my computer; I
hope that gets fixed soon (since I already migrated my config files to
the new version and downgrading would be a pain).

- -Jimmy

BTW, are we ever going to have that key signing party?  How about a
key server?  Don't know if that will help us.

Alex Whittemore wrote:
> [...]
>     members.
>              o Then talk to folks @ IT/PCSC to see if they want this
>                service; show them usage info from the pilot.
>                    + If they agree, ask for more funding for BU LUG to
>                      support this & similar efforts.
>                          # Profit.  I mean enjoy never having to worry
>                            about funding for BU LUG again. :)
>              o Pitch this as a senior project to one of the professors
>                (e.g., Paschalidis
>
>      <http://www.bu.edu/ece/people/faculty/o-z/ioannis-paschalidis>
>                can probably help with the stochastic model) before the
>                summer is over? (Complex project; will take a lot of
>     time to
>                get right.)
>                    + You'd probably want to get some help on the
>     stochastic
>                      model; false positives mean false theft reports
>     to the
>                      police and missed detections mean stolen computers.
>              o If you don't want to do this, but think it's a good idea,
>                let me know & I can work on it a bit.
>
>     Well, that should be enough ideas to fill your summer.
>
>     BTW, what throughput do you have for your network connection?
>
>     -Jimmy
>
>     Ryan Mullen wrote:
>     > I'd like to officially announce the purchase of a general
>     purpose LUG
>     > server. Due to time constraints it won't be online until the
>     beginning
>     > of next semester, but that gives me a full three months to
>     configure
>     > it. This replaces the old Dell tower I had donated that ran BU
>     Linux
>     > and had too little storage space to mirror any large projects.
>     >
>     > Specs:
>     >
>     > -Quad-core Intel Q8400 2.66GHz CPU
>     > -8GB DDR2-800 RAM
>     > -(3) Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDDs
>     > -Western Digital 80GB HDD
>     > -PC Power and Cooling 420W PSU
>     >
>     > The machine will run vanilla CentOS and the three 1TB drives
>     will be
>     > configured for software md RAID5.
>     >
>     > Seeing as we have plenty of horsepower and storage space, we
>     can now
>     > act as official mirros/repos for the Ubuntu and Gentoo
>     distros, which
>     > many of you may benefit from.
>     >
>     > I am taking suggestions for other resources to be served, so
>     fire away.
>     >
>     > Ryan
>     > _________
>     > bulug-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>     the subject field.
>
>     --
>     -Jimmy C. Chau
>     <jchau@xxxxxx <mailto:jchau@xxxxxx>>
>     <chaujc@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:chaujc@xxxxxxxxx>>
>     GPG key ID: 0x8C6AA349
>     GPG key fingerprint: D889 2B2D E20F A07E 0D54 4280 9C14 D4F6

- --
- -Jimmy C. Chau
<jchau@xxxxxx>