[bulug] Re: LUG Server: Purchased

  • From: Alex Whittemore <alexwhittemore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 00:53:13 -0400

I think you're confusing the key in memory as somehow only existing once.
The key is generated by a password. Yes, when the memory goes down, it's
lost, and the data is encrypted. But the data can still be unencrypted by
the same key. The key is generated by a password. Yes, an admin has to enter
that. I suppose you could work out a solution where the encryption key is
generated by two independent passwords, but let's be realistic, we're not
going to write our own encryption software. It's not going to happen. You
can, however, use a password combined with a keyfile. That might be just as
good. Give one admin control over the password, and one admin control over
the keyfile. Problem solved.