[bulug] LUG Server: Purchased

  • From: Ryan Mullen <rmullen@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 19:39:03 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to officially announce the purchase of a general purpose LUG server. Due to time constraints it won't be online until the beginning of next semester, but that gives me a full three months to configure it. This replaces the old Dell tower I had donated that ran BU Linux and had too little storage space to mirror any large projects.

Specs:

-Quad-core Intel Q8400 2.66GHz CPU
-8GB DDR2-800 RAM
-(3) Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDDs
-Western Digital 80GB HDD
-PC Power and Cooling 420W PSU

The machine will run vanilla CentOS and the three 1TB drives will be configured for software md RAID5.

Seeing as we have plenty of horsepower and storage space, we can now act as official mirros/repos for the Ubuntu and Gentoo distros, which many of you may benefit from.

I am taking suggestions for other resources to be served, so fire away.

Ryan
_________