[bulug] Re: Installfest and Re: BU 802.1x

  • From: Ryan Mullen <rmullen@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:25:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,

The installfest was fun! Thanks to everyone who showed up. Now that this is out of the way, we can start looking forward to our next meeting, which will take place on Thursday, October 2nd. The format for our official "first Thursday of every month" meetings includes a presentation (usually technical in nature, but not always) delivered by a volunteer. If any of you think you have a topic you'd like to present on, let me know of the topic, a brief description, and an approximate length of time. More on this later...

Also, for those of you interested in using BU's new 802.1x authentication, I confirmed that Jimmy's solution using wpa_supplicant works as it should (using Gentoo). We did not have enough time tonight for me to get around to testing it in Ubuntu.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Jimmy C. Chau wrote:
   # BU wireless. Does not need vpnc to go online.
   network={
           ssid="BU (802.1x)"
           priority=15
           key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
           eap=PEAP MSCHAPV2
           identity="jchau"
           password="3ULU6 |r0cks|"
           phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
   }
   # The BU website says to disable fast reconnect
   fast_reauth=0

I'm not sure whether or not I'll be using this solution instead of the Cisco VPN client because I'm not sure there's a real reason to choose it instead of the IPSec solution. After reading the Wikipedia pages for both MS-CHAP and 802.1x, and noting that critics of both mechanisms suggest using IPSec as an alternative, I think I'll stick with vpnc. I'm not vastly knowledgeable about 802.1x in general though, so if anybody wants to weigh in with their opinion, please feel free.

Again, thanks to those of you who put the homework aside for two hours to come geek out with us. It was a lot of fun.

Ryan
_________