[bulug] Re: [Fwd: Invitation to Fall Splash!]

  • From: Ryan Mullen <rmullen@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:21:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Jimmy C. Chau wrote:

I can burn CDs for various distros too, but I'm afraid that anyone who is savvy enough to try Linux would also be wary of running some unknown software from a home-made CD provided by a stranger. Does anyone have LightScribe or some other way of making the CDs look more professional or official?

I have a Lightscribe CD/DVD burner but the only Linux utility that turned
up after a quick google search was a proprietary LaCie package with no
command line operation (from what I could tell). Is anyone aware of a
CLI / FOSS implementation of Lightscribe labeling? I couldn't find any
mention of it in the cdrecord manpage either.

I've sent an email to info at shipit dot ubuntu to see if they could fulfill our requirements. Any idea how many CDs I should request? I ballparked it at 50-100 CDs. Even if they don't use them, people love free stuff and I don't want to come up short.

Distributing LiveCDs is a good way to get some exposure. If we have power running to our booth, we could even burn them on-demand if they don't want Ubuntu. But, I'm not sure that power would be available.

Ryan
_________