[bsidesclt] BSides planning

  • From: Chris Teodorski <chris.teodorski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bsidesclt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:44:01 -0400

All,

First off, I want to thank you all for your willingness to participate
in the planning of Bsides-CLT (or whatever we ultimately decide to
call it).  I understand that everyone brings to the table both unique
talents and a varying amount of available cycles.  So please feel free
to participate in whatever you way you feel you can best help pull
this event off and at the level you are most comfortable with.

Here is where I'm at with BSides Charlotte -- I'm just throwing this
all out there to start the discussion.  NONE of this is set in stone
-- I'm just sharing the ideas that I have.  I'm basing this some on my
experience with planning BSIdesPGH last year and assisting as much as
I could from afar this year.

1. I'm thinking beginning of the year for the event (Jan, Feb).  It
gives us plenty of time to plan and prevents competing with any other
large events (that I'm aware of).

2. Personally, I like the BSides that maintain a local flavor -- pick
a venue that is uniquely Charlotte.  In my mind, anyone can rent a
room at the Marriot.  As many of you know, I'm a recent transplant --
so input here would be awesome.  I was looking at
http://victorylanekarting.com/ as a possible venue, but maybe the
whole racing things is played out.

3. I suck at recruiting sponsorship -  a man has to know his
limitations and I'm just not good at it.

4.  Once you have the venue, everything else is gravy.  As long as you
have a roof, the show can go on.

So with those things said -- lets start the discussion -- starting
with time frame and venue.

Chris